Steps to Set Up VPN Connection on Windows 8 PC
What do you understand from the VPN (Virtual Private Network)? VPN, as the name suggests, is a virtual form of a secure, physical network. Over this network, a web of computers is linked with each other – to share files and other encrypted resources. Since, the VPNs are encrypted, so every computer, device or network connecting to VPN carry out sharing of data and other resources through encrypted tunnels.
Why you may need to setup VPN Connection?
The importance of VPN is felt especially, when we want to connect securely to a remote network through the Internet. In larger setups, it is mostly used to access files, applications, printers and other important resources on the company’s network without compromising its security. Also, it sounds extremely beneficial when it comes to access our secured home network while being on the road.
Here’s the step-by-step guide to setup the VPN Connection on Windows 8:
- At first, go to the Control Panel and open the Network and Sharing Center.
- Hit the option ‘Setup a new connection or network’.
- Pick the option ‘Connect to a workplace’ from the list, and hit ‘Next’.
- Pick the first option from the list ‘Use my Internet connection (VPN)’.
- Now, in the given field, type in the Internet Address, either a valid domain or IP address of the remote server, and also name the connection.
- Hit ‘Create’ and you are done.
- Close the Network and Sharing Center.
- Now, you can view your created VPN connection in the ‘View Available Networks’ option.
This is how you can setup VPN Connection on your Windows 8 PC. You can also checkout the steps for how to use the VPN Connection that you created on your PC. Here’s how it goes:
- Open the Settings panel by going to the Settings from Charms Menu.
- Now, hit the Network icon given at the bottom part of the panel to open the Network Connection side panel.
- You will see the VPN that you created just a minute ago. Just tap on it and connect to your Virtual Private Network.
Once you have successfully created the VPN on your PC, you can also change its settings, but they all depend on the settings made on the remote VPN server. You just need to ensure that the settings you change matches with the one on remote VPN server to build the connection successfully.