How to Add the Internet Search to Windows 7 Start Menu Search?
Are you using a Windows 7 operating system on your computer? One of the best things about Windows 7 OS is that it includes a feature called 'Group Policy Editor
' wherein you can enable Internet search option. With this Internet search option, you can directly search over the Internet directly from the Desktop. Yes, that’s right. You knew that you can avoid the hassle of searching applications by scrolling through the list of applications from the Start menu by simply typing the name of the application at the Start Search field. But that’s not all, you can also search Internet using the Start Search field. However, to enable this search option on your Windows 7-based computer you need to make sure that you are using the version which includes the Group Policy Editor option. So which versions of Windows 7 OS incorporate this feature? They are Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise editions of Windows 7; hence, if you are using a Starter Pack or a Home Premium edition, you need to upgrade your edition to any of these three higher editions.
Once you have upgraded or using Ultimate, Professional or Enterprise editions, follow these steps to add Internet search option to the Search field of the Windows 7 Start menu.
- Type in "gpedit.msc" in the Windows Start menu search field or else press Windows key and 'R' key. And then, type in "gpedit.msc" in the Run text box and hit 'Enter' key.
- When the Local Group Policy Editor opens, find 'Local Computer Policy'.
- Select 'User Configuration' and select 'Start Menu and Taskbar'
- The ‘Start Menu and Taskbar’ window enables users to add search Internet option from the Start menu. Double-click 'Add Search Internet link to Start Menu' option to open the configuration window.
- Click the radio button of the 'Enabled' option in the window. This will enable Internet search capability to the Windows 7 Start menu.
Now, go to the Start menu once again. You will notice a 'Search the Internet' option appears above the Search filed of the Start menu. This ‘Search the Internet’ link will adhere to the icon of the default Internet browser. Click on this link to start searching like you do by clicking on a browser icon on the taskbar.