How to fix Error: “Insufficient memory to run…(due to low system memory)”
Follow the instructions to fix “Error: Insufficient memory to run…(due to low system memory)”:
Close any open programs.
In Program Manager, select the ‘Help’ menu and select ‘About Program Manager…’.
Edit config.sys in Notepad:
- Make sure the first line reads: device=
:\windows\himem.sys (where is the letter of the disk drive).
- If running DOS applications under Windows, make sure the second line reads: device=
:\windows\emm386.exe /y= :\windows\emm386.exe noems (where is the letter of the disk drive).
- Load DOS high by typing the following statement: dos=high,umb
- Decrease the number of file handles (unless one or more applications requires a higher value) to 30: EXAMPLE: files=30
- Set the buffers command in config.sys to 10 if using smartdrv.exe. EXAMPLE: buffers=10
- Type the following: shell=
:\dos\command.com :\dos\ /e:512 /p (where is the letter of the disk drive).
If available, run MemMaker to optimize the memory configuration.
A common situation that leads to an insufficient memory error regards an application developed using a large memory model that includes many extra data segments and/or large extra data segments. When Windows loads the application, it allocates fixed memory to hold the extra data segments.