Easy Tips To Backup Your Hard Drive
Users dread losing their important files and folders, which they have been storing on their computer’s hard drive. Nonetheless, the fear looms large in the minds and hearts as it is pretty simple for something to go wrong with a computer and thereby they may end up losing sensitive data.
To avoid such a situation taking backups become extremely important. Here are some handy steps to instantly allow you to take the backup of your hard drive. You can follow the steps shown here to retrieve important files in case you accidently delete or lose them.
Steps to backup hard drive on Windows
- Get any external hard drive that has twice the space that is available on your Windows computer. This will allow you to take multiple backups.
- As you plug it in for the very first time, Windows will automatically prompt you asking ‘If you want to use it as a backup’. Click ‘Ok’ for accepting to use the external hard drive as a backup.
- If in case the above mention prompt does not appear on your computer screen, then go to the ‘Start’ menu and type “Backup” in the search box. Select ‘Backup and Restore’ option from the search results.
- Now, click on the ‘Set up Backup’ button and select the external drive, the one in which you want to take the backup and click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Click the ‘Next’ button to reach the last screen and then click on ‘Save Settings and Run Backup’ option.
- With this, Windows will begin taking the backup of the hard drive.
- Once done, it will start taking regular backup in the background.
While the backup process is running, make sure not to interrupt it or not turn off the computer.
Steps to backup hard drive on a Mac
Like is the case with backing up your data on a Windows-based computer, on your Mac machine too you can similarly create replicas of your data for future reference,
Choose an external USB hard drive that has sufficient space as per your requirement. Plan ahead and invest in a hard drive that offers you better space than the available area on your Mac device.
- The moment you plug in the hard drive for the very first time, Mac will involuntarily prompt you to confirm ‘If you want to use it as a backup’. Click ‘Ok’ for accepting to use the external hard drive as a backup.
- In case the confirmation backup does not appear on your computer screen, then go to ‘System Preference’ and click on ‘Time Machine’ for setting it as a backup disk for your Mac PC.
- Now, click on the ‘Select Backup Disk’ and select the external hard drive in which you wish to take the backup.
- With these steps Mac will start taking the backup on the hard drive.
- Once done, it will automatically start taking its own backup in the background.
Make sure not to turn off the computer or to interrupt the process while it is in progress!
With these simple and handy steps you can effortlessly backup your hard drive and keep all the contents safe. Creating backup will enable you to restore a file in case you of a system crash, accidental deletion of file or in case you want to create space on your device and have to thereby clear these files from the system memory. No matter what the reason be, regular hard drive backup will only help you and store your data securely.