Simple steps to remotely erase data from a lost iPad
Not able to find your iPad? Or do you doubt it’s got stolen? Well, while you are reporting the matter and initiating investigation, here’re a few tricks that you could apply to ensure that at least the information from your device doesn’t reach the wrong hands. Yes, there are a few things you could do remotely to prevent your sensitive data from getting leaked and you could do this task in the next 5 minutes.
The only prerequisite is that your device should be connected to the Internet. Don’t fret thinking this is any limitation; for, the very moment it will be connected to the web, the changes will instantly take effect.
So, grab your favorite ‘cuppa’ and get set to secure the data on your misplaced or lost iPad.
- Boot your PC and open up your favorite browser.
- In the address bar, enter “www.icloud.com”.
- Log in using your credentials and select ‘Find my iPhone’ from the list that will display.
- Confirm the iCloud credentials if asked.
- Scroll to the iPad option and select it in the ‘All Devices’ window.
- In the new window that will now display, select the Erase iPad option (the remaining are Play Sound and Lost Mode).
This will transform your iPad into a clean slate and even if you aren’t able to recover your device, at least the data will remain safe.
Alternately, if you want to lock down your device completely, you could select the ‘Lost Mode’ option. This will help you get back your data as is, once you found your iPad.
Besides the above, there is yet another way in which you could erase your iPad’s contents – using another iPad or an iPhone. The only condition you’ve to meet here is being signed in to the same iCloud account as you were on your lost iPad. To action this, follow the steps shared below:
- Access the Find iPhone app.
- Sign in using your iCloud credentials.
- From the list of devices that will be displayed, select your iPad.
- Tap on the ‘Erase iPhone’ option and confirm it when prompted.
- If your device is connected to the Internet, it will action the request immediately. If it’s not, it will do it the next time it will be connected.
That’s it! Your data on the iPad will remain safe even if you aren’t able to recover the device.