Keyboard Backlight: Pros and Cons of Using This Feature
What is a Backlit Keyboard?
On a Backlit Keyboard, you will have illuminated keys to provide you better visibility features for easy typing even in completely dark or dim conditions. It is ideal for computers that are located in dark or poorly lit environments. The backlight facility of the keyboard enables you to type in a variety of lighting conditions.
Usage of Backlight Keyboard
Backlit keyboards are very popular among gamers since it is suitable for dark gaming environments. It is mostly used by military, marine vessels, commercial fleets and security personnel for their work demands maximum mobility within different lighting conditions.
Advantages of using illuminated keyboards
- These keyboards are used for the obvious reason that the keys are easily visible in the dark. Many people type only by looking at the keys of the keyboard; the illuminated keyboards help them to type in dark environments.
- Individual keys get lit to provide you with actual symbols present in the keyboard. It also highlights the format of the actual keyboard.
- Depending on the keyboard supplier and model, keyboards with backlight may have one or more colors. Some have translucent keys that completely lights up while others may have black keys with transparent laser engraved lettering that shines.
- In pitch dark conditions, tasks can be accomplished at a faster rate. Having an illuminated keyboard is also visually pleasing.
Disadvantages of using illuminated keyboards
- Backlit keyboards cost more than a standard keyboard. Depending on additional features like the programmable keys, the cost of illuminated keyboards may cost you much above the range of a standard keyboard.
- Keyboards with backlight consume more power than any standard keyboard. If the backlight is frequently used, it can drain out the battery at a much faster rate.
How to turn off backlight feature of keyboard
Since keyboards with backlight feature consumes more power it is essential that you turn off the backlight during well-lit conditions. However, you may need to turn it on, again when you are in dimly-lit conditions. If you are using a MAC with the illuminated keyboard feature, you can turn off the backlight using the following steps:
- Click on the ‘Apple’ menu
- Go to ‘System Preferences’
- Click on ‘Hardware’ then ‘Keyboard’
- Uncheck the “illuminate keyboard in low light conditions”.
By doing so, the backlight feature of the keyboard will be disabled temporarily and you can save on power.
So, as you can see, the keyboard backlight feature has its own set of pros and cons and depending on the work environment that you are in, in a specific condition, you could either choose to turn it on or off. Should you face any issue while customizing the settings, enabling or disabling the feature, or while using it, do not miss to call iYogi tech experts for simple and instant fixes. We are waiting to help you, 24x7.