When the Cursor movement is not smooth or has erratic settings
While working on a computer you may get several issues that may disrupt your working environment. Erratic settings of the touchpad and mouse are the most common problems that may disrupt your working experience. Use the following steps if you are facing inconsistent movement in your cursor.
Erratic settings for touchpad
- First of all, turn off the computer. If the touchpad of the computer does not respond then simply hold the power button for about fifteen seconds and forcefully turn off the computer.
- Except the power cord of your computer, unplug everything including mouse, monitor, keyboard, speakers, printers, scanners, USB devices and external storage devices.
- Ensure that there is no dirt on your finger or the touchpad.
- Ensure that the latest drivers for touchpad in installed in your computer.
Some newer computers may include gesture features which by default are turned on which may be the reason for the erratic movement of your cursor. In order to disable or modify these features you can use the following steps.
For Windows 8 (8.1) users
- Move the cursor to the right corner of the screen and wait for the Charms Bar to show up.
- Click on Search
- Type main.cpl in the search box and click on the result that shows up.
Click on Touchpad option to change the Gesture Settings (depending if your computer has one) and after changing the options to your requirement, click OK.
- Click on the Device Settings tab
- Click the <+> sign which is located next to any of the options that pops up in a dialog box.
- Change the settings accordingly and click OK.
Erratic settings for mouse
The mouse may behave erratically if the pointer speed of the mouse is above level five. To fix this issue, use the following steps:
- Click on the Start menu
- Go to settings and click on Control Panel
- After locating the mouse icon, double click on it
- In the dialog box, go to Mouse Properties and click on the Pointer Options tab
- To set the mouse pointer speed at level five or below, move the Adjust how fast your pointer moves slider to the left
- To save the settings, click OK.
Now that wasn’t really difficult, was it? These few simple steps will help you change the erratic settings of your touch pad and mouse. If you have any difficulties with the erratic settings just call the technical experts of iYogi who are available 24 x 7 to assist you.