How to fix the issue when the mouse pointer has frozen?
Are you moving the mouse repeatedly and still not able to move the mouse pointer on your screen?
A frozen pointer is one of the frequently occurring problems while you’re working on your PC. Though not a serious problem, yet it affects the system’s performance, kills your productive time and is irritating.
The frozen cursor issue can happen due to several problems like loose cable connections, hardware issue, unresponsive programs, or even virus infection. An unresponsive mouse can be a serious threat to your PC’s health if it has been occurring repeatedly. You need to do a correct diagnosis of the reason behind this. Go through the simple tips to troubleshoot the problem.
Check the Connections
- At times, a program may take longer to respond than expected. Wait for a while and see if the mouse regains it functionality. Loose cable wires can be a reason your mouse not working. See if the LED light is turned on in the optical mouse.
- In case you are using a wireless mouse, check if the Bluetooth is turned on, or that the mouse is falling within the range. Also check if the wireless mouse is turned on.
- Ensure that the surface is not very slippery for your mouse to be able to scroll easily. Extra slippery surface can also inhibit mouse’s functionality. If you’re using a laptop, ensure that the touchpad’s surface is clean and your hands are dry.
- If you have an extra mouse, connect it with your PC. If the new device works, it will mean that the previously attached mouse was defective and thus not responding.
The System is Overloaded
- If the computer is taking too much time to load programs in general, it may be facing low disk space. If you open multiple programs simultaneously at one time, the processing speed of the computer slows down.
- Low RAM space can be another reason to trigger the mouse pointer freezing issuefreezing issue. To troubleshoot, close the applications you don’t require.
- You can also upgrade the RAM to improve your PC’s speed and improve the overall experience.
Some websites pose an instant threat to you PC. If you’re connected to the Internet and the mouse pointer is not moving at all
- Scan your PC for virus, malware or spyware on your PC with the installed antivirus software.
- Refrain from visiting such websites in the future.
Have you disabled the touchpad of your laptop by mistake? Or did you make unwanted change while customizing the mouse recently? If yes, this is what you can do:
- Check for mouse /touchpad settings and see if it is properly aligned.
- Go to ‘Control Panel’ and click on ‘Mouse’ to change the mouse settings.
- Outdated mouse drivers can also cause problems with the mouse. To check if the drivers are installed properly, go to ‘Device Manager’ and then click on the ‘+’ symbol to check ‘Mice and other devices’.
- Now, right click on the active mouse and then click on ‘Properties’. Further, go to the ‘General’ tab, and click on Troubleshoot.
- Follow the instructions to fix the issue with your mouse. This can resolve the issue, if there was a problem with the software.
Restart the PC
Press ‘Control’, ‘Alt’ and ‘Delete’ together to shut down your PC. If even that is not working, switch off the PC by pressing the Power button for few seconds.
Wait for a minute and then reboot the PC. When you do this, you will lose all unsaved data, but the PC may start normally.
You can fix the issue of frozen mouse pointer on the screen by following these handy tips. But you shouldn’t ignore these signals and optimize your PC soon after you have fixed the mouse pointer issue. In case, you’re not able to resolve the problem, you can seek expert tech help from iYogi technicians.